Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Taking Life For Granted: the shock of death

“When it comes to life the critical thing is whether you take things for granted or take them with gratitude.”
– Gilbert Keith Chesterton
 
Today I got the news that a young man my age in my home town  had unfortunately passed away.  The tragedy of losing such a young life can shake you to your core.  As I took a moment to send a prayer up the big man for his friends and family, I thought to myself how easy is it to take life for granted.  It saddens me that it takes such a misfortune to make me realize how much I take for granted.  I always feel so confident when I lay down at night that I am going to wake up in morning, that I am going to see my family and friends again, that I will have another chance to tell them I love them.  The fact is, that doesn't always happen. It makes me cherish all the time I have had with them over the past 22 years of my life. It makes me want to call each and every person who has impacted my life and tell them how much I appreciate them.

I am so fortunate to have what I have in life. I have two jobs doing what I love to do. I have the most selfless parents and wonderful siblings. I have the best friends a girl could ask for.  I have an education (and the debt that goes with it). I have a handsome guy who always makes me smile. I have a roof over my head and a bed to lay in. I have good health and most of the screws in my head are tight. I have all of these things and much more. Yet, I don't do much to show my gratitude for all of it. Sure, I say my prayers at night, but is that enough?

I want to just take a moment and thank you. Yes, you. Because I am positive that you have had some sort of effect on my life. From a simple hello to make my day a little brighter to lending me a shoulder to cry on when I feel like my world is falling apart.

If by chance there comes a day when I am unexpectedly no longer in this world, I hope that I can leave a legacy of compassion for the people I surround myself with.

As for the friends and family of Cody, there is nothing that can be said to make the news of his death any easier to understand.  I didn't know him extensively. I had only hung out with him a handful of times.  From those few times, I learned that Cody was a free spirit. He lived his life to fullest.  He lit up the room with his radiant smile and enthusiasm.  You know what they say.."only the good die young".  My thoughts and prayers are with all who were affected by the loss. 


"So we are always of good courage. We know that while we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord, for we walk by faith, not by sight. Yes, we are of good courage, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord." - 2 Corinthians 5:6-8


Until next time,
KND

 




No comments:

Post a Comment