Sunday, March 17, 2013

a tribute to my best friends

Excuse this post if everything is misspelled and the grammar is even worse than usual as I am writing this through tear filled eyes.

I'm at my apartment here thinking about the amazing past seven days I have had on a cruise with some great friends. While I had an awesome time, it just wasn't the same vacation I was used to. A very big part of me was missing when a few of my best friends couldn't make the trip this year.  It is just so crazy to think about how fast life really does go by. This time last year, I was on my senior spring break without a single care in the world.  I really was living young and wild and free. But when I think about me and my friends and where our lives are heading I cant help but shed these selfish tears. 

My best guy friend, Trent, who I spent nearly every single day with for the last couple of years has moved to Memphis for optometry school.
My very best friend and soul mate, Gabi, is leaving in a few months to serve in Zambia with the Peace Corps for two years.
Another best friend and old roommate, Erin, has moved to Alabama where shes studying to be a vet tech.
My current roommate and of course another best friend, KatieJo, just landed her first real corporate job here in Nashville.
Another great friend, Kara, is totally consumed in working her way to the top with her career. Shes probably one of the most driven people I have ever met.
A few other friends, Sarah, Britbrat, Michelle, and Taylor are working on moving to Nashville while they continue higher education and pursue new jobs.

We are quickly (too quickly) becoming the generation that is growing up, moving away, getting married, and having babies. I'm attending baby showers and bachelorette parties when I so vividly remember going to sweet 16s. I am so proud and happy for each and every single one of my friends and where they are going in life.  We have always been the group to go out and do what we want. We take life as it comes and we always keep our heads held high through each battle we struggle with.  I am so blessed for the people that God has put into my life.

But I cant lie, as happy as I am about everything happening in each of our lives, my heart breaks each time I think about how life will just naturally put distance between us.  As corny as it may be, I have no idea where I would be if I didn't have my friends to shape me into the strong and confident person I am. It scares me to know that although we will defiantly stay in touch as the years go by, I wont have each of you at my fingertips. I wish the best for everyone through all of our future endeavours. With that, call me selfish but I just want to keep each of you here with me forever.  As with all groups of friends, we will always have our traditions and we always have an unbreakable bond.  Our group is special in my eyes though. We were truly made for each other.

You know what they say.. distance makes the heart grow fonder.

Until next time,
KND



1 comment:

  1. I know that feeling all too well, that feeling that life will never be the same again...and it is sad! The distance is tough, but it just allows for fun trips to visit each other. I distinctly remember crying on Cinco de Mayo because none of my friends could go eat because of work/living away from me and it was sad. Soon you'll realize it's just part of life but until then it's okay to feel sad about it. Just know huge things are coming your way too!

    ReplyDelete